Monday, October 4, 2010

Maris and Broad Bean Soup

We recently ate a lovely meal at Maris, with a friend who was out from London for his mother's funeral.   I do love this little intimate restaurant, with its marble topped tables,  fantastic sommellier, bread which comes complete with whipped French butter and something olivey, beautiful big glasses and a lovely buzzy busy feel.



I had a superb piece of grilled black Angus rib eye steak, perfectly cooked.  And for desert a banana meringue with soft ice cream and something passionfruity.  But the very best was the entree, a simple green vegetable soup. 

Since that time I have been searching to replicate the spring green freshness of this soup. I have tried soup with zucchini, broccoli, potato, all to no avail.   I hit pay dirt with this recipe,  which is simplicity itself.

Ingredients

A cup of podded broad beans
A cup of frozen or fresh peas
Half a cup (or maybe more) of thickened cream
Half a cup (or maybe less) of chicken stock



Method

Bring a large pot of water to the boil.  Add some sea salt, the broad beans and the peas (I put the peas in a sieve so you can retrieve them earlier if needs be).   Simmer until both are cooked.  Pod the broad beans and put all ingredients in a food processor.  Add as much cream or stock as is necessary to get a thick consistency. Reheat gently.







This soup is completely perfect for Spring.  Enjoy! 

Maris on Urbanspoon

 



3 comments:

Littlemissairgap said...

Maris is the best. We used to be able to walk to it when we lived in Melbourne & it's one of the many things I miss. We had our farewell dinner in the little back room. Managed to squish 10 people in there. Felt very posh having our own "private dining room" but at reasonable prices. Always love the window display @ Maris.

Mise said...

That must be one of the easiest soup recipes I've seen, and it looks delicious. I'll certainly be giving it a go. I'll tell visitors it's the famous Pear Tree House soup.

Millie said...

MOTH is a broad bean fanatic Jane. Sadly I don't share his enthusiasm (& I don't really know why!). Loved how the soup kept it's gorgeous, vibrant colour.
Millie ^_^

Related Posts with Thumbnails